The History of Cavallino-Treporti
A brief history
Retracing the history of the northern coast of Venice’s lagoon is quite complicated: if, in fact, for Lio Piccolo there are evidences dating back to Roman Times, localities as Ca’ Savio and Punta Sabbioni, have recent origins.
The Village of Mesole arose in the 1300s, Saccagnana and Cavallino in the 1500s and Treporti at the end of the Seventeenth century: the entire littoral was linked to the continuous evolution of the hydrogeological stability, a combination of waters and lands that determine its destiny.
After the fall of the Roman Empire, the islands of the lagoon became a shelter for the populations coming from Altino and from other large cities, fleeing the barbarian invasions: the following centuries were of decline: poverty and malaria reigned uncontested.
The excavation of the “Cavallino” Canal (now called “Casson” Canal) made possible to navigate on a new route between the lagoon and the river Piave and contributed to make the territory healthier: the Canal was open to navigation in 1632, as indicated by the plaque situated on the façade of a house at the “porte” or “sluices” of Cavallino.
After the fall of the Serenissima Republic of Venice and the foundation of the Municipalities, Cavallino Treporti depended on the Municipality of Burano until 1923, when the latter was abolished and integrated with that of Venice.
The Municipality of Cavallino Treporti was established in 1999, with a referendum in which the population of this area - then part of the Municipality of Venice - declared favourable to the separation from Venice and therefore to the establishment of an independent Municipality.
The development of the littoral
Land, fresh water, salt water: these are the 3 elements that colliding, combining and separating again, constituted what we now call the Northern Littoral, that includes a recent reality, the littoral of Cavallino and a much older one, the so called ‘islands’ of Treporti.
Historical buildings of Cavallino-Treporti
The Lighthouse of Cavallino
The Lighthouse was built between 1949-1951, it is 48 m high and is situated at the mouth of the Sile. Its reconstruction is due to the Germans during the Second World War. They destroyed the old one (built in 1846) and built the new one in 1944.
Antica Osteria (Old Tavern) and Hydraulic Sluices
The hydraulic sluices permitted the river traffic between the lagoon of Venice and the River Piave (now River Sile) and were built in 1631. In 1654 a building was erected - it still exists – and was used for the duty. At the end of the XVII century an Osteria (a Tavern) was opened, and still exists with the name of “Locanda alle Porte 1632”.
Chiesa di Santa Maria Elisabetta (The Church of Saint Mary Elizabeth)
The Church situated in Cavallino, was built in the first half of the Eighteenth Century.
The Lighthouse of Punta Sabbioni
For the building of the famous “pagoda” of Punta Sabbioni, 28 years were needed: the works began in 1882 and finished in 1910.
The construction of the Fort Treporti (also known as “Forte Vecchio”) was one of the intervention of the Austrian, in the second half of the XIX century, with the aim to control the lagoon territory.
Chiesa della SS. Trinità (The Church of the Holy Trinity)
Built shortly after 1517, was then reconstructed in 1684. It underwent some changes in 1763. In 1913 the old church was incorporated in the new one and in the ’50, the two side aisles were added.
Convent of the Mesole
The convent is situated in the village of Mesole, inhabited land since 1300: it took its name from the feminine convent erected here, in 1380.
Chiesa di Santa Maria della Neve (The Church of Saint Mary of the Snow)
It was built in 1791 thanks to the noble family of the Boldú. After different transfers of ownership, the Church passed to the Armenian Mekhitarist Fathers of the island of San Lazzaro degli Armeni in Venice. In 1900 was built the near rectory and in 1911 the bell tower.
The Boldú Palace
The locality was already populated around the year 1000, but after a period of depopulation, it started to revive at the end of the XVII century.
To that time, dates back the first construction of this building, restructured probably by the noble Venetian family of the Boldú, that became the owner of the Palace in 1777.